Kirtland Community College to re-open on June 8
Fri, 06/05/2020 - 3:59pm caleb
Kirtland Community College
Kirtland Community College is planning new protocol to protect the health of everyone on campus ahead of reopening on Monday, June 8.
In accordance with Governor Whitmer’s stay-at-home executive order, all campuses have been closed since March. Once the order is lifted for higher education on June 8, the college plans to safely open campus on a program-by-program basis.
Programs with required lab and clinical work, as well as winter semester courses that could not be completed online, will be the first to operate on campus. Students will be notified by their instructors when their courses will take place on campus.
While we are excited to welcome students back to campus soon, we understand this return may come with some apprehension," said president Dr. Tom Quinn. “The health and safety of everyone in our community remains our top priority, so we’ll be implementing important measures to mitigate risk and protect our community. Together, we will adjust to this new environment and progress forward toward a strong future.”
Safety measures include:
• Mandatory face masks for everyone on campus – if students do not have one, they will be provided with one.
• Prior to the opening of college facilities, custodial staff will disinfect and sanitize entire buildings with a EPA-approved COVID-19 disinfectant.
• Only one entrance to each building in use will be open for student use. Employees are asked to use the same entrance.
• All employees and students will be asked to self-report their health through a brief questionnaire prior to entering a college building. For the protection of themselves and others, any employee or student displaying signs of fever or illness will be asked to leave campus.
• Kirtland is also developing a digital app option so students can self-check and report on their phones. More information will be available soon.
• During the summer session, no community events will be scheduled on any of the campuses.
• Custodial staff will be circulating the buildings throughout each day to sanitize all frequently touched objects and surfaces (i.e. door handles, bathrooms, common areas). Each evening, custodial crews will thoroughly and routinely clean and sanitize the building.
• Maintenance staff will change filters on air handling equipment to provide filtered air in buildings on a scheduled routine.
• Hand sanitizers are located in hallways and in classrooms for student and employee use. Students are strongly encouraged to wash their hands regularly as recommended by the Center for Disease Control and bring sanitizers with them, if available. Faculty will encourage students to sanitize before entering their classrooms.
• The cafeteria will be closed during the summer session, until further notification.
• Clear barriers have been installed on many desks to shield and separate employees and students when social distancing is more difficult.
In order to support students throughout a time of transitioning, Kirtland is also providing all student services, technical help and advising online. Textbooks are also available to purchase online, and select courses will have open source books to provide resources to students for free.
To learn more updates regarding campus reopening, visit https://www.kirtland.edu/coronavirus.